Yearbook Sales begin now and ends on January 26.
how will you be saving your memories from this year?
Double your age. Let's say it is 2028 when you're 23 to 26 years old. You want to remember that best friend. Or that awesome teacher that made history come alive for you for the first time.
Just open your 2016 yearbook. There they are, your memories from Hughes.
But you can't do that if you don't have the 2016 Gavel. You know how to fix that?
Buy your yearbook today!
The Gavel is now on sale for $40. This sale is through the month of January. After January the order for all of the books Hughes want to be produced will be placed. Order today and save your memories forever.
Bring $40 cash to Mr. Streetz in room 802 before or after school, now through January 22, 2016.
You can also order your yearbook online at
Let's Make Hughes Litter Free
We are a Green Ribbon School! Come join us to make a difference at Hughes on Fridays from 8:00 to 8:30 am. Meet us at the Bike rack to do some litter busting! We want our school to look clean and show why we earned the Green Ribbon in the first place.
Discover LBCC Dec. 2 (Descubre LBCC 2 de Diciembre)
High School Choice - Adjustments to Minimum Criteria
Team High School Choice, in collaboration with the ten high schools, strives to provide consistent information to all parents, district-wide, along with equalizing access to all pathways.
Office News 2015 - 2016
8 am - 4:30 pm
The school day begins at 9:00 am and ends at 3:40 pm. Students may not be on campus after 3:50pm unless they are in a school sponsored activity. Parents, please pick up your children from school as soon as possible so students are not lingering in front of the school. To assist us, please make arrangements with friends or family to have a place for your child after school.
Suggested Student Supply List for This School Year
- 2 - 3 inch, Ring Binder
- 1 - 5 Subjet Dividers Tabbed With Pockets
- Lined Notebook Paper (college ruled, 8 1/2 x 11in.)
- 1 - 3 Ring Binder Storage Bag
- 1 - Pencil Sharpener
- 24 - Lead Pencils (#2)
- 1 Box of 10 - 12 Colored Pencils
- 1 Box of 8 - 10 Colored Markers
- 12 - Blue/Black Ball Point Pens
- 12 - Red Ball Point Pens
- 3 to 5 Assorted Highlighter Markers
- Student Scissors, 5 inch, Blunted
- Portable 3-Hole Punch
- 12 Inch Ruler
- Plastic Protractor, 6 Inch x 180 °
- 1 - Student Compass
- 1 - Letter Size Clipboard
2015 School Uniform Policy
We will continue to implement our school uniform policy. This is a revised policy as of August 2015. Adherence to the ID and uniform policy is required for attendance at Hughes. There is no doubt that the uniform policy reduces student misbehavior and allows us to focus on providing a meaningful instructional program for all students. Thank you for your support in our efforts to provide a safe and orderly environment.
- Students must wear solid light blue, navy, or white collared shirts. Note: Plaids, stripes, sheer material or other designs will not be allowed. No sheer blouses that reveal undershirts are allowed.
- Navy blue pants, just above the knee shorts (2-4" above the knee) or skirts are permitted. Dark blue jeans may be worn provided they are in good condition and free of logos and designs (no frays, tears, holes, etc.). Students may not wear sweats or athletic wear.
- Only solid white, blue, gray or black sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets will be allowed as outer wear. These must be logo free.
- Only white, blue, black, or gray undershirts may be worn.
After School Program
Hughes does not offer an on-site after school program. You will need to refer to outside agencies (Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, or a private agency) if you need an after school program for your student.
Whooping cough (pertussis) TDAP BOOSTER IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIREMENT
For the 2014 – 2015 school year, students entering 7th grades need proof of a TDAP Booster shot before starting school. This requirement does not affect students enrolled in summer school. Immunizations may be given by your family physician or are available at the clinics listed below:
Long Beach Health Department
2525 Grand Ave., Long Beach, 90815
Telephone: 562- 570 - 4221
Bellflower Health Center
10005 E. Flower St., 90706
Telephone: 562 – 804 - 8112
The Children’s Clinic
2801 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90806
Telephone: 562 – 933 - 0400
Westside Neighborhood Clinic
2125 Santa Fe Ave., Long Beach, 90810
Telephone: 562 – 432 - 9575
Please bring/send the immunization record to the school nurse:
- If your child has already received the Tdap booster after age 10
- After your child has received the required immunization
Green News Center
Big Plans for Hughes Goes Green!
Hughes has set great goals for reducing it’s impact on the environment. This year the school plants to recycle 1.5 tons of plastic and aluminum and 20 tons of paper ...more
Green Team Make-Over Slide Shows
Monday, November 30, 2015
STUDENTS: A person of character is a good citizen, does his or her share, helps the community, plays by the rules, and respects authority and law.
- Good Morning Hughes – This is a Message from Environmental Science & the Green Team: Thursday, December 10th, Hughes is holding a “No Trash Day!” We are declaring it a day of reusable products only (No disposables!!!). All recyclables will go in the recycle bin! We will be collecting our food scraps to be converted to fuel pellets! Visit the” No Trash Day” table during lunch this week to learn how to win refillable water bottles and re-useable lunch kits as raffle prizes for “No Trash Day!” Get ready to go Trash-Free and ULTRA GREEN!
- This is it, the final week of the Hughes Food Drive to benefit the Long Beach community. We have raised over 1000 items. If you have not donated any items yet or would like to continue donating, there is still this entire week. If all 1600 Hughes Owls donated three items we could raise 4,800 items well past our goal of 4,221 items. Let’s not only help those community members in need, but earn a free dress day at Hughes. Donations are accepted both before school in front of the auditorium and at both lunches, just look for the donation carts. Thanks again for having huge hearts and displaying Owl pride to our Long Beach community.
- Uniform and dress code reminder: All students are expected to dress in uniform which includes the correct outerwear colors: Solid colors in navy blue, white, black, or gray. Sweat pants or athletic wear are not permitted. The cold weather is here so please dress warmly and stay dry.
School District News
Online Math Support for Grades 6-12 Click Here.
A Tradition of Excellence