Yearbook Sales begin now and end January 26.
2015 Jog-A-Thon Is Here
Our annual fund raising event is here. This year we have challenged all students to participate in this 2K jog. What we need from you is to sponsor them. They should be asking their family and all relatives to sponsor them in this great endeavor. Sponsorship is easy. Each student has an envelope that will be returned by October 30th, the day of the run, to see how many raffle drawings they can enter. Of course the envelope will contain your pledge. To make it even easier we have an online pledge site ready to accept your bank card pledge. That site is www.pledgestar.com/hughes.
Let's Make Hughes Litter Free
We are a Green Ribbon School! Come join us to make a difference at Hughes on Fridays from 8:00 to 8:30 am. Meet us at the Bike rack to do some litter busting! We want our school to look clean and show why we earned the Green Ribbon in the first place.
Office News 2015 - 2016
8 am - 4:30 pm
The school day begins at 9:00 am and ends at 3:40 pm. Students may not be on campus after 3:50pm unless they are in a school sponsored activity. Parents, please pick up your children from school as soon as possible so students are not lingering in front of the school. To assist us, please make arrangements with friends or family to have a place for your child after school.
Suggested Student Supply List for This School Year
- 2 - 3 inch, Ring Binder
- 1 - 5 Subjet Dividers Tabbed With Pockets
- Lined Notebook Paper (college ruled, 8 1/2 x 11in.)
- 1 - 3 Ring Binder Storage Bag
- 1 - Pencil Sharpener
- 24 - Lead Pencils (#2)
- 1 Box of 10 - 12 Colored Pencils
- 1 Box of 8 - 10 Colored Markers
- 12 - Blue/Black Ball Point Pens
- 12 - Red Ball Point Pens
- 3 to 5 Assorted Highlighter Markers
- Student Scissors, 5 inch, Blunted
- Portable 3-Hole Punch
- 12 Inch Ruler
- Plastic Protractor, 6 Inch x 180 °
- 1 - Student Compass
- 1 - Letter Size Clipboard
2015 School Uniform Policy
We will continue to implement our school uniform policy. This is a revised policy as of August 2015. Adherence to the ID and uniform policy is required for attendance at Hughes. There is no doubt that the uniform policy reduces student misbehavior and allows us to focus on providing a meaningful instructional program for all students. Thank you for your support in our efforts to provide a safe and orderly environment.
- Students must wear solid light blue, navy, or white collared shirts. Note: Plaids, stripes, sheer material or other designs will not be allowed. No sheer blouses that reveal undershirts are allowed.
- Navy blue pants, Bermuda-like shorts (at the knees) or skirts are permitted. Dark blue jeans may be worn provided they are in good condition and free of logos and designs (no frays, tears, holes, etc.). Students may not wear sweats or athletic wear.
- Only solid white, blue, gray or black sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets will be allowed as outer wear. These must be logo free.
- Only white, blue, black, or gray undershirts may be worn.
After School Program
Hughes does not offer an on-site after school program. You will need to refer to outside agencies (Boys & Girls Club, YMCA, or a private agency) if you need an after school program for your student.
Whooping cough (pertussis) TDAP BOOSTER IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIREMENT
For the 2014 – 2015 school year, students entering 7th grades need proof of a TDAP Booster shot before starting school. This requirement does not affect students enrolled in summer school. Immunizations may be given by your family physician or are available at the clinics listed below:
Long Beach Health Department
2525 Grand Ave., Long Beach, 90815
Telephone: 562- 570 - 4221
Bellflower Health Center
10005 E. Flower St., 90706
Telephone: 562 – 804 - 8112
The Children’s Clinic
2801 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90806
Telephone: 562 – 933 - 0400
Westside Neighborhood Clinic
2125 Santa Fe Ave., Long Beach, 90810
Telephone: 562 – 432 - 9575
Please bring/send the immunization record to the school nurse:
- If your child has already received the Tdap booster after age 10
- After your child has received the required immunization
Green News Center
Big Plans for Hughes Goes Green!
Hughes has set great goals for reducing it’s impact on the environment. This year the school plants to recycle 1.5 tons of plastic and aluminum and 20 tons of paper ...more
Green Team Make-Over Slide Shows
Thursday, October 1, 2015
STUDENTS: Trustworthiness: A person of character is trustworthy, lives with integrity, and is honest, reliable, and loyal.
- The library is open at lunch for the first 5 minutes only. That gives you enough time to check in and check out a book. Computers are no longer available at lunch. If you need to print something from a library computer, you must do it before or after school, not at lunch.
- Remember the Litterbusters club is meeting every Friday from 8:00 to 8:30 near the bike rack. It gives you a chance to help your community, earn extra credit, and get free donuts!
- Our Jog-A-Thon is on Friday, October 30th, so please register now to help our school raise as much as we can! Jog-A-Thon money supports the following programs: 8th Grade Activities, Black History Club, Student Council, WEB, 6th grade orientation, Polynesian Club, CJSF, Library Resources, Jeopardy Tournament, Homework House, Tutoring, Green Team projects, Jazz Band, PE Equipment, and support for Sports Teams!
- Picture Make-Up Day will be on October 9th during your P.E. class. This is not a free dress day so please make sure you’re in uniform.
- 8th Graders – If you are interested in going to Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York in June 2016, there are still a few spots available. Registration closes for the 2016 East Coast Adventure on Friday, October 2. So, if interested, see Mr. Simerlink in B9 for an invitation and additional information to snatch up one of the remaining spots.
- News from the cafeteria: As of October 15, if you have not submitted a lunch application, all students will be required to pay for their lunch at full price. Please stop by the cafeteria or the main office to pick up an application.
- For safety reasons, please do not run across the grass and jump over the metal chains.
o Read Today's Bulletin
School District News
Online Math Support for Grades 6-12 Click Here.
A Tradition of Excellence