Our mission is to help children develop a lifelong commitment to their own physical health, well-being and fitness while participating in a wide variety of pleasurable activities.
All students are expected to dress in a P.E. uniform and participate every day. Students who need to be excused from activity must bring a written note from a parent or guardian. In most cases, students with notes are still required to suit up. If an illness or injury prohibits a student from participating for more than 3-days, a note from a doctor is required.
Any illness or injury that prohibits a student from participating for 4-weeks or more, will be excused from missed work and his/her grade will be frozen.
- Shorts- Hughes or royal blue hemmed shorts.
- Shirts- Hughes or plain, light gray t-shirts.
- Sweatshirts- Hughes or plain gray sweatshirts.
- Sweatpants- Hughes or royal blue or plain gray, hemmed sweatpants.
- Shoes- Athletic shoes with rubber soles.
- Socks- Athletic socks are required.
*All clothing must be clearly marked with the student's first and last names in blue or black permanent marker.
- Any clothing with pockets, logos, zippers, stripes, buttons, drawings, designs, etc.
- Jackets and sweaters, school clothes, biker shorts, cut-offs or undershirts.
- Boots, sandals or any footwear deemed unsafe by P.E. staff.
- Borrowing clothing from other students or clothing not designated solely for P.E.
- Jewelry that may cause injury like dangling earrings, hoops, bracelets, necklaces, etc.
- Tank tops or non-Hughes sleeveless shirts, leggings, tights or colorful socks.
- Athletic headbands, wristbands, bandanas, hats, caps, nets, etc.
- P.E. clothes are to be worn during P.E. class only.
Students who do not have their proper uniform are still required to participate. The Hughes P.E. department will offer the use of loan clothes on the first two days of a week only. Students who refuse the use of loan clothes may be referred to a learning director for consequences.
Consequences for Non-suits (per grading period)
1st Time- No consequence.
2nd Time- Warning/student notification.
3rd Time- Conduct grade lowered, 10-minute lunch detention and parent notification.
4th Time- Conduct grade lowered, 15-minute lunch detention and parent notification.
5-Times or More- Conduct grade lowered, 20-minute lunch detention and referral to learning director.
Uniform Pricing (cash only)
- Shorts- $12
- Shirts- $8
- Sweatshirts- $15
- Sweatpants- $15
Students may purchase P.E. clothes any day, before or after school, throughout the school year. Be sure to make arrangements with your P.E. teacher ahead of time to purchase clothes.
Students will be marked tardy for the following reasons:
- Student is not inside the locker room before the 1st tardy bell.
- Student is not seated on his/her assigned roll call number before 2nd tardy bell.
- Student fails to report to assigned roll call number for second roll call.
- Student leaves the P.E. area before passing bell.
Hughes School-Wide Tardy Policy:
- First Tardy- Report to lunch detention. Tardy gets recorded and student released.
- Second and Third Tardy- Report to and serve full lunch detention.
- Fourth Tardy- Report to lunch detention and student serves additional 45-minute after school detention.
*Students who fail to report to lunch detention will be picked up the following day and given one additional lunch detention.
Locks and Locker Rooms
All students are issued lockers in Physical Education. Lockers are only to be used during their P.E. period and only for P.E. items. Lockers are not to be shared. Locker rooms are open after school to Hughes team members only.
Small lockers are for storing student P.E. items when students are not in P.E.
Large "Community" Lockers
Large lockers are for storing backpacks, school uniforms and other personal belongings. Because other students use them throughout the day, these are to be used only during P.E.
Students are issued a combination lock to use interchangeably between both small and large lockers. For safety and security reasons, locks must be school issued. If a student uses a lock from home, he/she will be warned one time before it is removed. Students should notify a P.E. teacher if their school lock is missing. Students are advised to look throughout the locker room and in the lost-and-found before notifying a P.E. teacher. Replacement locks are $5.
Students are required to make up work due to absence or injury (less than 4-weeks). Students must contact their individual P.E. teacher regarding make-up days and grading policy.