Skip to main content
EdwardSamuels08b28129.jpg

Principal's Page

Dear Hughes Families,

Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year!  A special welcome to our new Owls who are joining the Hughes family this year.  Our Owls have been successful every year and the 2018-2019 school year was no exception.  

Our overall SBAC ELA scores increased by 3% and our overall SBAC Math scores increased by 7%.  We beat the district average for SBAC ELA by 10% and SBAC Math by 11%.  Our students continue to thrive each year on our state assessments.  Our CORE Survey data was extremely positive for the 3rd year in a row.  Hughes increased in nearly every category and we outperformed the district average across the board!  In addition, our school was recently recognized as a 2018-2019 Educational Results Partnership (ERP) Honor Roll School for our high student academic achievement and consistent improvement in achievement levels over time.

Our athletics program was extremely dominant in 2018-2019.  Our scholar-athletes finished the school year as the best in Long Beach!  Our school won 4 out of 8 championships and we were awarded the Century Club’s Girls’ All-Sports Award and the Overall All-Sports Award.  We are looking forward to another great year for our competitive sports teams.

Michael Jordan said, "You must expect great things from yourself before you can do them."  As we enter the 2019-2020 school year, we are expecting great things this year from our staff and students.  Whether in the classroom, on stage, on the field, or in the community, our Owls will continue to strive towards greatness.  We are looking forward to another successful year as we #ExpectGreat. 

All the Best,

 

Edward I. Samuels

Principal